September 30, 2014

EXTREME COUPONING: Attempt #1

Puddin' seemed to be better this morning. Not completely better, but at least more energetic and happy. So, we're not out of the woods yet, but we can see the light up ahead.

METAPHORS.

I stayed up way too late last night. WHY? EXTREME COUPONING. We left the house around 6 to go grocery shopping and didn't make it back until like 10. And I didn't get into bed until 11-ish. I am SO tired. But it was worth it.

At the beginning of the trip, I had about 150 or so printed coupons and my mom had several hundred store-specific digital coupons on her phone. Yes, there's an app for that. Plus, there were special deals at the stores.

The original plan was to go to Dollar General, the local scratch-and-dent grocery store, Kroger, Sams Club, and Target. The scratch and dent was closed before we got there. Sams was closed before we got there.

At Dollar General, we didn't buy a lot. But we stocked up on canned soups of various kinds. Like, the Campbells Chunky soups that are a minimum of $2.50 when they're on sale? Yeah, we got them for $1 each. And we got a ton of condensed soups for reduced prices. It was awesome. Oh, and I bought hair dye for $1. I normally pay at least $6 for a box of hair dye. We got some cereal and ended up getting a box free also. Coupons and dollar stores for the win! Dollar General total? $30.

Mmmmm. Coffee. Well, almost black coffee, so not as mmmm as I would like. But still good. And caffeine!

Kroger was crazy. That place already has tons of discounts. AND there are coupons that you can add to your Kroger card via your phone app. AND they take double coupons. Sweetness. Even some of the things we didn't get with a coupon were nicely priced. Like 10 dial hand soaps for $10. And we stocked up on deodorant and razors ($4 for a pack of 6 razors that are normally $8!!!) and various other soaps and tp and paper towels and febreeze (we have like 4 bottles of febreeze now) and more canned soups and fruit snacks and frozen pizzas and frozen vegetables and all kinds of other stuff.

We ended up having 2 buggies (shopping carts, whatever) full of stuff. My mom had one and I had one. The things that I had 2 coupons that weren't double-able for, I took one and she took one. There was so much stuff. It ended up being a little over $500.

We went to Target last. We don't normally go to Target. But the Super Target nearest to us is HUGE. And its so empty at 9:00 at night. We just bought shampoo and dry shampoo and hairspray that we had coupons for. Three huge bottles of Tresemme shampoo for $8. Freaking yes. And then dry shampoo and stuff with a slightly smaller discount (I forgot a coupon). We spent like $30 at Target.

Overall, we spent a little more than we meant to, but we saved around $300. That's $300 worth of stuff that we basically got for free. And we won't have to buy shampoo, deodorant, razors, hand soap, bar soap, paper towels, toilet paper, febreeze, detergent, toothbrushes, dry shampoo, or anything like that for a while. Like, 3 to 6 months for some of this stuff. I'm still pumped about it. You can't tell it by looking at me, but I totally am.

I made a video about it. Its my vlog for today on the KEEYSS channel. It should be up later today. I'm thinking that I'm going to put it on my normal channel too. And make it a series. It will only be once every month or two that I make a video for it, but I think it will be cool. In a nerdy kind of way.

The only thing is that I would like to start looking through coupons on a regular basis in order to build up my stock of coupons and REALLY save money. Like, be able to get things free. The people at stores will hate me, but its totally legal, so I don't care. The only thing is, I don't like paying $2.50 for a newspaper to JUST get the coupons out of it. I'm going to do a little research about the Grocery Game, because my mom used to do that when she would do extreme couponing. But I'm not sure if its worth it. I need to make friends with someone who gets the paper but doesn't use the coupons. We shall see if that is possible.

-EW

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think...

And don't forget to tell me who you are!