February 7, 2013

Comedy Throwdown: Day 1

So, today has been really hectic so far, and there is not going to be a break from the hectic-ness any time soon. Yesterday I had to go to the dentist, so I missed school AND I missed blogging. I figured that I would try and make it up to you all today.

In second period, I had a quiz over fish identification today. I made flashcards last night, and I think I made a 100, since I remembered all of the scientific names and the common names. I laminated the flashcards with clear tape and they have printed color pictures of the fish. I think they look rather fantastic. I have to make 4 more flashcards tonight for the quiz tomorrow.

I have a spanish composition due today in 7th period. I have to read it out loud from memory (I guess that wouldn't be reading it then) or else have 20 points taken off of my grade. I have most of it memorized, but the way I memorize spanish compositions is strange. I make sure that I know the storyline or whatever in English first, which I know most of. Then, I mentally translate it into spanish as I repeat it. My parents think that it is a rather complicated and inefficient way to memorize a composition, but it works for me. I have all but the last third memorized, so hopefully I can get that in before 7th period.

The first night of Comedy Throwdown is tonight. If you live in the area, I encourage you to come. Audience seating starts at like 6:30 I think, and the performance starts at 7. Just be there by 7 and you should be fine. I am not one of the performers this year, but an MC. This should be interesting.

For those of you who don't know what Comedy Throwdown is, it is an improv tournament that my school puts on every year. The kids in drama class play improv games and contests and the audience gets to vote to see who wins. There is actually some audience interaction where they get to volunteer ideas and be part of the games. It really is very fun and rather hilarious. There are three nights. The first night, part of the teams compete for a winner. The second night, the rest of the teams compete for a winner. The last night, the winning teams from the previous nights go head-to-head to decide what team wins overall. There are two team categories: the first year drama kids, and the theatre production kids. The production class has two teams that perform every night, ensuring that the show will be hilarious.

As one of the two MCs, I get to help run the games, keep score, and explain everything. It should be an interesting experience.

I have started something that I call and "idea jar", which is basically a big container that I am using to hold my ideas so that I don't forget them. I write the video ideas down on slips of paper and fold them up and put them in the container. When I get bored or feel like doing a video, I simply pull out a slip of paper to decide what to do. Some things are very complicated while others are super simple. If you COMMENT an idea for a video, I will put it in the idea jar for later use. This can be anything from a cover or music video for a song to a rediculous dare. Currently, the idea jar only has about 20 ideas in it, so it will take some time to fill it up enough to start using it.

 Description practice!

He sits in solitude all day long. Porcelain limbs too stiff to move. Occasionally a spider might crawl by, but otherwise, he has no company. Being porcelain, he is too fragile to be loved. Every day he watches the sun rise and fall and rise again. His blue trousers collect dust and his red yarn hair begins to unravel. But the painted smile stains his face for an eternity.

Okay, I kinda have stuff to do and a composition to practice.

Love,
Elizabeth W.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think...

And don't forget to tell me who you are!