March 28, 2014

The Feminist in Me

Okay, so when I was growing up, I didn't know what feminism was, really. Like, I thought they were just like women who burned their bras and went to protest marches and stuff. I thought they were crazy.

But even as a little kid, I didn't think that boys and girls should be unequal. I thought that it was kind of unfair that boys could go around without shirts on and girls couldn't. I hated the games that we played at recess that promoted the idea that girls were meant to be rescued, not to do the rescuing. And in middle/high school, I got into several arguments with some of my more misogynistic guy friends because I thought that even though the Bible said that women were submit to their husbands, women were just as powerful and strong and smart and important and were equal.

As I've grown up, I think the only real sources of information about feminism and feminist ideas that I've been able to trust were a few of my history and english teachers, Facebook, and Tumblr. Tumblr probably being the most prominent one. And, yes, I know how to figure out what is fact and what is fiction, thank you.

And I'm not abandoning my Christian beliefs or conservative stance or my upbringing in my feminism. There are still many feminists that I disagree with, particularly when they speak against men. Putting someone else down won't get you equality (see video below and notice the wording that the man uses). I'm still against abortion because I see that unborn child, no matter how young, as a person and killing them as murder. I still consider homosexuality a sin, but its a sin just like murder. Sure, legalize gay marriage. I don't care. It doesn't affect me. But don't force me to say that its okay. Just like I sin, everyone else does, and some people's sin is more obvious. And I'm not going to hate the person, just their sin. And don't tell me that rape culture isn't a thing, because it is. Women who are sober and wearing modest clothes still get raped. Its not women's fault. Its the fault of the parents who don't teach their sons that women are to be respected and they aren't just objects of sex and submission.

So, yes. I am a conservative. Yes, I am a Christian. Yes, I am against abortion and homosexuality and all sins. No, I'm not perfect. But, yes, I am a feminist. Rant over.

-EW

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think...

And don't forget to tell me who you are!