May 6, 2014

#REVIEWSDAYTUESDAY - The Alchemist

I finished Madoka Magica last night. I didn't realize that there were only 12 episodes. Oh well. It was still a good show. It was very dramatic and stuff,  but still good.

This week's book review is of "The Alchemist" by Paulo Coulho. I think I spelled that right. So, here we go.

I read this book after my brother did. My brother has a pretty good taste in books, but his taste is very specific and he doesn't read just anything. For this reason, he doesn't read many books. This one was assigned to him in English class. He read it and said that he loved it. Which is a really rare thing. So, naturally, I had to read it asap.

This book is about 150 pages or so, not very long. It took me a couple days to read it, mainly because I was busy with homework, but even the chances I took to work on reading it, I could hardly put it down. There were so many good ideas and fantastic quotes crammed into that little book. It was definitely worth reading.

"The Alchemist" tells the tale of a boy who goes out to find a treasure that he dreamed about that is somewhere near the pyramids. He goes on this whole crazy, ridiculous journey to find it. Along the way, he ends up learning about his "personal legend"and trying to fulfill it. I really don't want to spoil the book, so I'll just tell you that its really great.

"And, when you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it."

I'd say that that quote is probably my favourite. Its so hopeful and inspiring. I think I might put it up on my wall.

This book is very much for the high school and middle school crowd. The kids who are still trying to figure out who  they are and what to do with their life. I would say that its appropriate for any age group, but it would influence those the most.

Because I don't really care for it as much as, say, John Green books or something like this, I would give this 4 out of 5 stars. Maybe if I was a freshman in high school my opinion would be different.

-EW

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think...

And don't forget to tell me who you are!