February 2, 2015

Highlights and A Book Review

Good morning ladies and gents who read this here blog. Gah, I have some strange ways of starting a blog. This morning, I am coming to you from my kitchen table. I've got a cold and my youngest brother has a stomach bug, so he and I and my mother are all at home today, which is why I'm at the kitchen table, getting highlights put into my hair. I figured that this would be the perfect time to sit down and write my review of "I Am Malala" by Malala Yousafzai.

Malala Yousafzai is the girl who was shot in the head by islamic terrorists a while back and ended up surviving. This book is her retelling of the events and those before and after in her life.

Let me start off by correcting myself to some extent. Something that Malala states in her book is that she doesn't want to be known as the girl who was shot by terrorists. The whole reason that she was targeted was that Malala was an activist who spoke out for girls education. You see, Malala's father ran a school in Pakistan, where they lived. This school was special because it allowed for girls who lived nearby to get an education in a world where most girls stayed at home until they were married off. Malala loved school and, as the book tells, was quite good at it.

However, there came a time when girls were now banned from attending school. This was because of the terrorists that were in control of the country. It became dangerous for a female to even go out in the streets without her whole body covered and a man by her side. Many were beaten to death and even shot because of this. Still, Malala and her father worked to let girls be able to get an education.

Malala ended up doing interviews and a blog and other things speaking out for girls rights to education. This, of course, did not please the Taliban, which is why she and her father became targets and Malala was shot on the school bus on the way home from school on October 9th, 2012.

Her story didn't end there, though. Malala spent quite some time in the hospital, going through surgeries and getting better. And none of this hindered her from wanting to work for children everywhere to get an education. She speaks about it and has written books about her story. She was even awarded a nobel peace prize in 2014!

This book tells her story, and it is a really inspiring and eye opening story. She was just a normal kid, but she's made a huge impact. I ended up reading the "young readers version", which is put into language that can be understood by a fourth or fifth grader. There is more than one version of the book. My version had pictures in it also. I'd give this book a 4.5 out of 5 stars. It would probably be appropriate for someone in fifth grade or older. It was really interesting to read her story and know more about it than was told in the news. I'd recommend this book to a younger reader. I would say to be warned that some of this book deals with very serious, scary issues though.

I enjoyed it and I hope you do to, if you choose to read it. My next review will probably be of the book "Painted Girls".

-EW

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think...

And don't forget to tell me who you are!