October 2, 2012

Traditional Vs. Online Schooling

I feel that complete online schooling is unfair. First, you miss the awesome lectures and classroom interaction in the learning experience. Learning from others in that way is helpful. Second, teachers are put out of work. When a single teacher can teach a class of fifty students online, it puts the other two teachers that could have had traditional classes from that group out of a job. Being a teacher is hard enough without worrying about such things as unemployment, and I know, because both of my parents are teachers. Lastly, you miss out on hands-on learning in classes like science, art, and psychology. In general, learning online is fun, but traditional teaching is still a very important style that should not be abandoned any time soon.

Personally, I have nothing against online schooling. I am currently taking a few online classes, and I enjoy the fast pace involved in learning that way. However, I really enjoy the lectures in history class, where you can practically see the historic battles raging in your mind, and the communication I have with the teacher in math class when he shows me exactly how to do a problem. And everyone has a learning style that works best for them, so online learning may work for some but not for others. I believe that both online and traditional schooling should be offered and used by all capable and willing students. That way, everyone will be getting a good education and having a great time while doing so.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think...

And don't forget to tell me who you are!